Sunday, February 10, 2019

Have a great day in the jungle!

I want to talk a little bit about something that fascinates me--looking or seeing.

As it applies to abstract painting . . . Why do you see a cat when I don't? Why do I see a bird when you don't? If you subscribe to the notion that there is only one thing being looked at, why don't you and I see the exact same thing?

How about this -- a Rorschach test. . . What do you see?


I see birds, winged lions with centipedes under their bellies, and maybe even a drone . . . Oh, wait! I see Jesus there too.

Or how about this one,

First, I see a duck, and then I see a bunny, and a duck, then a bunny again--How about you? What we can't see is both at the same without naming either. We don't say, "I see a black and white detailed form having no name." This is very curious. That inability to see just what is there without naming is uniquely human. See if you can do it. Try it. Try it again and again.

Also, I have this thing called "Pareidolia". You have it too--we all do. In a nutshell, we see faces and other creature features in non-creature images. 

Here's a favorite . . .


I have A LOT of this Pareidolia, and you might identify a few of these abstract creatures in my latest series of paintings. I used to avoid allowing them in my work, but now? Finally, I'm letting my goony creatures fly, as it were. They say Pareidolia is in our DNA, and because I have an extra dose of this trait, I'm the one you want to follow through the jungle. I will spot the characteristics of a predator long before others will. This ability is not quite as valuable in the 21st Century on, let's say, a city street, although maybe we shouldn't discount it as a potential benefit. 

Enough said about "seeing" for now. Have a great day in the jungle!

And while I've got your attention, here are two new art pieces hot off the easel. What can you see in them? Here's a clue . . . read the titles.

Crustacean
10" x 10" acrylic on w/c paper


Super Sunday
10" x 10" acrylic on w/c paper



No comments:

Post a Comment