Sunday, May 31, 2015

What I see is what you get!

If I learned anything important in 2014 about painting it is this . . .


  1. VALUE 1st, last, and always is the most important consideration. It has proven to be very helpful to me.
  2. Learn the basics--the rules of color, perspective, VALUE, and so on. And then use them when you need them.

    My philosophy is this . . . photorealism in painting is a beautiful thing. It demonstrates in the creator a tremendous talent, vision, patience, and determination to portray truth as it is perceived. I can't paint that way. If I could I wouldn't.

    Clint Eastwood, artist/actor/filmmaker, says it like this. "I make movies I want to see, and I figure if I like them other people will like them too." Well, I paint pictures I want to see--pictures that are more about a personal vision of the world--my vision of the world as I have come to see it, and hidden, or perhaps not so hidden in them is all I've been, done, felt, and seen. Also, what I decide to paint is a big part of that equation. And in summary, in 2014 I learned to throw out the rules and be myself. How liberating is that?!

    By example, here is a side-by-side photo and painting I did in October 2014. 
Photo of my smokehouse (center) and back of house (right)

Smokehouse #1 16"x20" Pastel on Pastelboard


No comments:

Post a Comment